Thursday 5 July 2012

From trainee butcher to sceptic

As I left school, I was offered a job in a supermarket as a trainee butcher.
When I first started working there we was taking around 25k a week on meat and poultry.
This job was a great introduction into the trade.
To be fair, when I first started we was boning out all pork and lamb. We just had vacuum pac beef.

But success of the trade and supermarkets was our downfall.
The busier we got, the more boneless the products became.
I worked in the store for 10 glorious years. I say glorious because I loved the people more than the job, but like all things have to come to an end.
As I said, we got busier. We took on average 100k a week when I left, so the environment I had worked in had slowly changed to like a process plant. Slice and pack. Slice and pack.
It was awful.
The meat quality had drastically changed too, as the supermarkets were after the same margins but with most of the work being done before touching the stores.

Today, As you know, now....the stores buy all the meat in pre-packed and it's absolutely tasteless. So if the same margins are achieved, how is this possible at such a low sales price?
Farmers losing out, genetically modified products/animals, animal rights, growth stimulation, added components. These are just a few reasons why it is so cheap.........and none of this is right or healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment